Monday 19 August 2013

Industry and Academia Collaboration for a Better Future - where are all the students?


In June Constructing Excellence held the Universities and Industry Working Together for a Collaborative Future’ event at the BRE in Watford.  As a PhD student and trying to engage with industry for my research I thought this would be a good opportunity to see the real interface between industry and academia.
The day started with a number of talks from both academia and industry with questions to the presenters at the end. Some strong polarities developed around the room during the discussion, making for interesting listening.  

Workshops were conducted throughout the afternoon of which I attended the two I thought most relevant to myself. The first was the ‘Research and how it can be used to educate inform and inspire’ which was met with both enthusiasm and cynicism in my group (myself being the former).  Anna Scothern from BRE gave a presentation about the development of a community platform via mobile apps where customers can easily engage with aspects such as the Green Deal, BREEAM and receive information from BRE on a range of other topics. Personally I thought this  demonstrated  how research can benefit industry and consumers, although not everyone in the room felt the same questioning where and how some aspects would work. 
The second workshop was with our very own Katy Harris facilitating as part of the Collaborative Working Champions Group. A number of workshops around this topic were conducted and at the end each group presented their discussion results to the room.  The workshops centred around the question ‘what is the industries view of best practice and what modern graduates need to know and is this being reflected in the current delivery of HE?  What are the barriers to improvement?'  A broad ranging question which met with a broad range of diverse answers!

A key theme that emerged from this workshop and those associated with it was that practical experience is important.  The disappearance of the sandwich year was a topic  which met with great interest in my group.  An afterthought that came to me surrounding this was just how on board with this would industry actually be?  Time and resources are scarce especially after the economic downturn and workforces in some cases are operating at two thirds of the capacity.  Would industry really be willing to give up time and resources to engage with students?
In my own research on sustainability I have come up against much resistance from industry.  Comments such as “we will get there but it will be like the health and safety issue, it will take time”.  It doesn’t have to, not if industry adopt a proactive rather than the reactive approach they currently adopt.

A thought that struck me during the day was that I was the only student at this event and there only by default through my position at Room4.  If industry and universities are to have a true collaboration we need student engagement.  The construction industry is a dynamic one and needs dynamic individuals.  Talent and innovation is out there in the form of our graduates.  The graduate pool is not being utilised to the extent that it should be (or indeed the undergraduate pool).  I know from my own research that the construction industry is a resistant one and dislikes change.  Change however is key if the sector is ever to move forward. 

Positive comments however emerged from the day with Giles Price from Heathrow Airport presenting commenting “Give me a graduate with energy and passion and I'll take 'him' above all others!”   Had such a graduate been present in the room might he have landed himself such a position?

My overall experience of the day was that we still have a long way to go in integrating industry and academia.  Links between the institutions themselves are well established but are not utilised effectively.  In addition, and in my opinion, the voice of the students is a missing link here.  A question posed by Katy “where are all the bright sparkly things?” is a very good one and prompted me to write this blog.  A platform where ideas are exchanged and where employers can spot talent and bring it on board is needed.
Is Social Media the way forward?


Social media is a powerful tool and is indeed the very means by which I find myself in my current position as a Trainee Consultant at Room4. I see all the time on Linked in and Twitter students trying to engage with industry about projects they are working on.  Employers need to engage more with students on these platforms as it’s where the ‘bright sparkly things’ are.  You never know what you might find.  It’s where Room4 found me.  My background is not in construction but psychology.  My research area however has crossed me over into the complex world of construction.  Whilst I don’t bring any construction skills to the market I bring people skills, critical thinking along with passion and drive for achieving sustainability in construction (amongst many others!). 

Our latest recruit, Frankie, came in 2 weeks ago fresh out of university and has already assisted our managing director in delivering a workshop on social media in the construction industry as well as transforming our own social marketing agenda. (Check out Frankie’s blog about her experience and the ‘Frankie Challenge’).
Comments from the collaboration event were tweeted throughout the day generating a good stream of conversation and food for thought, again highlighting the use of social media.

Not yet conversant with the world of social media?  Why not attend our free social media and marketing webinar on 16th October?  And if you’re Interested in helping with my research you can complete my survey and request info/feedback to me at michelle.brennan@room4.co.uk 







http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=doh5sujab&oeidk=a07e80db6kha5cc311cfree social media and marketing webinar on 16th October?

No comments:

Post a Comment